June 2009 Letter from the Editor
By: Jill Pinheiro
What is the best way for your church to grow?
Lifeway Research and the Cornerstone Knowledge Network recently conducted a study, entitled "Effects of Ministry Space and Outlet Expansion," that examined various types of church growth and their individual impact on attendance.
Seven types of expansion were included in the survey:
* Building new or additional ministry space at the same site where your church is located
* Building a new facility at a new site
* Adding an additional worship service or venue on site
* Adding an additional worship service or venue off site
* Beginning to offer streaming video of worship services or teaching on the Internet
* Directly participating in helping start a new church or churches
* Merging with another church
According to the study, "Of these seven types of ministry expansion, adding an additional worship service or venue on site is most closely related to higher growth in attendance, followed by building new or additional ministry space at the same site where the church is located. Churches that expanded in those two ways experienced significantly higher levels of growth in average worship attendance over a five-year period."
Every month, church growth expert Lyle Schaller covers various ways churches can expand in his "Growth Strategies" column. You can view all of his contributions in our online archives at www.rpnmag.com.
I'm always interested in hearing from you. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.